Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Music Man

At the beginning of every year Classic FM ask their listeners to choose their three favourite pieces of music and send them in.  They then count and collate what they have been sent, and produce their "Hall Of Fame" which is broadcast around the Easter weekend.  And this year, as last year, the Number One slot has gone to "The Lark Ascending" by Vaughan Williams.  And this year, as last year, I have to confess to being somewhat baffled at the choice.  I'm not knocking the piece or the composer - although as I think I've mentioned before, I find it difficult to warm to Vaughan Williams - but other than as "music to iron by" I just can't see why this piece is so popular.  As I once heard someone down London way say "That lark don't 'arf take a bleedin' long time to ascend!"  And that's it really - the music doesn't seem to go anywhere.  Nice enough, but nothing to stir the blood.  

No comments: