Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Yorkshire pudd'n

Not entirely sure how I feel about the "ceremony" surrounding the reburial of the bones of King Richard III. At the weekend there was a day-long procession as his coffin was taken from from Bosworth Field to the cathedral at Leicester, which to my eye at times strayed perilously close to pantomime.  We're usually so good at dignified pageantry and yet here seem to have fallen between two stools - were we trying for a 15th century re-enactment, or a modern not-quite-state funeral? It all seemed a bit odd and I couldn't help feeling slightly uncomfortable as I watched it on television.  And I kept thinking - wouldn't it have been more appropriate to have left him where he was?  Aren't we in danger of trying to re-write history here?  What happened, happened.  It was historically interesting to have discovered his remains and established that it was in fact him, but should we perhaps have left it at that?

No comments: