Sunday, March 01, 2015

Wolf Hall

Well, I've persevered and watched the whole thing, and now I feel I am entitled to ask - why?  What was that all about?  I haven't read the books, which I understand are not an easy read. but assuming that the TV series is faithful to them, just what was the author's motive?  I though it was going to be a study in "power corrupts" showing how Thomas Cromwell developed from a basically decent, good-hearted human being into a monster prepared to do whatever was necessary to further his own ends. But it didn't really come over that way, and in any event as a study of the life of Cromwell it finished well before that life was over.  It didn't tell us anything historically which we didn't already know (but never forget the old adage - history is written by the victors). So, as a spectacle - great.  Acting - great. But what the hell was it all about?

No comments: