Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Where do they shop??

Three years ago now I posted about how the cost of my weekly shop had increased from around £40 to over £50 in twelve months or so, despite the official line being that inflation at that time was something like 4 - 4½%.  Well - update.  The cost of essentially the same shopping basket now hovers at just under £65.  Which works out at something like 10% a year - still way, way ahead of the "official" inflation figure. So on my last shop I took the time to note just where the biggest increases were.  Firstly meat - I used to enjoy a piece of sirloin steak which a couple of years or so ago I could pick up for £2.00 - £2.50.  And today?  Double that - so I don't buy it any more. Even pork and chicken which traditionally used to be the "cheap" meats, no longer are that cheap.  Then yoghurt.  Just a few months ago you could get a pack of four yoghurts for £1.00.  Today exactly the same product - £1.50.  Why?? Wine - you used to be able to get a bottle of basic plonk for £2.99.  Same bottle today, £4.99. Why?? Crisps - again the same bag which even a few weeks ago was on sale (and not as a special offer) at £1.00 now costs £1.50.  Why?  Ready meals - not so easy to make a direct comparison because (craftily) they keep changing the packaging, but one particular line which has remained the same and which used to be 2 for £4 is now 2 for £5.  And I keep getting told that food is getting cheaper - not my experience!!

No comments: