Saturday, December 13, 2014

My, my, my....

It is being suggested that Welsh rugby supporters should be banned from singing "Delilah" when supporting their national team.  It has become something of a rugby anthem for the Welsh in the same way as "Swing low, sweet chariot" has for the English.  The objection is that the song is all about a man killing his unfaithful girlfriend and as such could be considered as "promoting domestic violence".  Well, it's a point of view, although I can't see it finding too much favour with the crowds at the Millennium Stadium at Cardiff.  If we are to throw out all songs which include references to conflict or violence, we shall sadly deplete the repertoire.  And what to replace it with?  Ar hyd y nos?  Lovely song, but hardly stirs the blood, does it?  I think things are best left as they are.

No comments: