Sunday, November 09, 2014

Pigeons roosting?

Back in 2005 on what was then my separate blog for matters musical, I posted about the dangers of Radio 3 trying to ape Classic FM.  I suggested that, as a non-commercial station, they should not see ratings as the be-all and end-all, but should concentrate on giving their core audience what they wanted.  Well, it doesn't seem they listened, because their audience figures are falling, and they are being accused of "dumbing down" their output.  Perhaps they're just going through a bad patch but it would be a tragedy if Radio 3 were to be seen as failing.  I'm a Classic FM listener personally, but classical music gets little enough airtime anyway and it covers a wide spectrum which extends well beyond the Classic FM output, and I'm sure there are plenty of those who are into the heavyweight and avant-garde stuff and it is to them that Radio 3 should be speaking.

No comments: