Friday, October 31, 2014

Wave after wave...

So are we being "swamped by migrants"?  This was the phrase used by the Defence Secretary, who I bet wishes he could go back in time and reconsider his choice of words. "Swamped" is a very emotive word, but is it justified?  Well, I could take you to places not a million miles from where I live, where you would be hard pressed to find anyone over the age of about 8 who was born here in the UK.  And I'm sure if you were to find such a person, they might well feel "swamped" by those who have come here from elsewhere. But I could equally take you just a few streets away to where just about everybody is 100% white and British.  As we've mentioned before, this is simply a case of "birds of a feather flock together" - migrants associate with their own sort as do non-migrants.  So "swamped"?  Depends where you are, doesn't it?

No comments: