Monday, October 06, 2014

Be careful what you wish for...

I remember about 20 years ago, my wife and I seriously talked about going to see Hong Kong while it was still "British".  We never made it, but I still have a soft spot for the region and so am a little troubled by what is going on there.  My natural instinct is to support those out on the streets in the name of democracy, but I wonder if they have really thought through what they are doing.  Hong Kong is part of China, whether they like it or not and unless they are seriously looking for independence (which would be a whole different ball game) then it cannot be in their interests to have a Chief Executive who is completely out of tune with the government of the mainland.  So the idea that China should "vet" candidates for the post is really no more than common sense which gives HK the best chance of maintaining the special status which I am sure they - and China - want to keep. 

No comments: