Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Lazy Cook

Believe it or not (and frankly I sometimes find it hard to believe myself) but some 25 or so years ago I did a course in Indian cooking at a local community school on a Sunday morning.  I still have all my notes but am ashamed to say that I have never kept it up - just too much faff for my "keep it simple" approach.  But the other day I came across a reference to Aloo Tikki which is apparently street food from Northern India.  And I looked at the ingredients and thought "I can do a quick and easy cheat version of that" - so here's how.  Make up a packet of instant mashed potato - use a little extra water so it comes out a bit sloppy.  Put it in a bowl and add about half a tin of Easy Onions, a dessert spoon or so of crushed ginger (comes in a jar from most supermarkets), some garam masala or other spices to taste and some dried parsley. If you've got it, add a chopped up jalapeno chilli and a handful of frozen peas (not essential but adds colour and authenticity - not to mention an extra kick!).  Now add some plain flour and water, bit by bit, and get your hands in and mix up until you get a nice "silly putty" consistency.  Make the mixture up into little "patties" and shallow fry until golden brown.  And there you are.

No comments: