Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Scotland decides? - a final comment

So we're looking at what might happen if the Scots vote for independence on Thursday.  It's mostly guesswork of course, but my feeling is that as far as Scotland is concerned, there would be an initial "feelgood" bounce which might last a year or two, but that in the longer term the Scottish economy would begin to falter, which almost certainly would lead to the more entrepreneurial Scots moving south, which would hasten the demise of the economy, and so on.  So in the long run I think Scotland will be worse off rather than better.  And for the rest of us?  Well I'm getting on in years and throughout my life I've seen successive Labour governments mess up the economy, leaving it to a Conservative government to sort it out, only for the next Labour government to mess it all up again.  That's pretty simplistic of course - a lot depends on outside factors and there have been exceptions - the first Blair government being the most obvious.  But to the extent that the loss of Scottish MPs would make it more difficult for Labour to get into power here, a "yes" vote in my book would have to be seen as A Good Thing. So that's it - let's see what Thursday brings.  And one final thought - whatever the outcome, I reckon the people who will end up rubbing their hands will be - the lawyers!

No comments: