Saturday, September 13, 2014

Scotland decides? - continued

Suppose the referendum result is "yes" for independence?  How will I feel?  Well, sad that the union will come to an end, but perhaps far more annoyed that The United Kingdom of which I am a member will break up without me having had any say in the matter.  And suppose it's a close call - 50.5% yes to 49.5% no, for instance.  I am surprised that for such a major constitutional decision there is no "threshold", which means essentially that the views of a very small number of people could decide the issue.  But other than sad and annoyed, I can't say I shall wake up on the day after feeling any different.  My life will not change, whatever the result.  At least, not in the short term. But what about the long term effects?  We'll consider that next time.

No comments: