Tuesday, September 09, 2014

I don't want no peas!

I can still remember my son (about 4 years old at the time I would think) proclaiming that at the dinner table. And I remember trying to convince him that what he was saying was the opposite of what he meant ("Here's the world with peas - here's the world with no peas.  Which do you want - which don't you want?).  Not sure I got through to him, but what about this business of the double negative?  It seemed so clear to me at the time - and for that matter still does - but many other languages use double negatives as a matter of course (Spanish: No dijo nada = I didn't say nothing) and indeed it was common in Middle English (I ne saugh nawiht = I didn't see nothing).  So perhaps it's just a matter of logic rather than grammar - and indeed, as I've said more than once, provided what you say is understood, that's really all that matters.  And there's no doubt that my son made his wishes clear! 

No comments: