Wednesday, August 06, 2014

What's the time?

You know me - if I see a nit I have to pick it.  The WWI centenary commemoration in Westminster Abbey on Monday was nicely done, but as I understood it, the final candle by the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was supposed to be extinguished at 11.00 - this being the time (but see below) when we declared war on Germany in 1914.  But in fact it was nearer five-past when this happened.  And that surprised me - we are usually so good at this sort of thing, and I'm sure there would have been plenty of run-throughs with stop-watches, so I wonder what went wrong, and where those few minutes were lost?  But that's not my main nit-pick.  I had this feeling that there was something wrong with the timing, and was glad to see it confirmed by a recent letter to one of the papers.  We had allowed for the fact that Germany was and is an hour ahead of us, and therefore their midnight would be our 11.00 p.m., but we hadn't factored in that back in 1914 the idea of putting the clocks forward in summer hadn't been thought of, and so the whole thing was an hour too late!  End of nit-pick.

No comments: