Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Oh no - not semolina again!

I went to a boarding school and we ate in a big dining hall sitting at four or five long tables - bit like the Harry Potter films without the magic (definitely without the magic!)  Before we were allowed to sit down the senior master would say grace, and, being a school with some pretensions, he would say it in Latin - Benedictus, benedicat, per Jesum Christum dominum nostrum Amen.  But on Sundays it was different - instead of grace, the Headmaster (always the Headmaster on a Sunday) would recite the "school prayer", which went -
Lord, grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.
And this was always attributed to St Francis of Assisi.  So I was somewhat surprised the other day when, flicking through the internet as I am wont to do, I came across something called The Serenity Prayer, which with the substitution of "serenity" for "strength" in the first line is virtually identical, and is apparently the house prayer of Alcoholics Anonymous.  Don't think the Headmaster - a lifelong teetotaller - would have been impressed!

No comments: