Wednesday, April 09, 2014

That's how it works.

Co-incidentally over the last couple of weeks or so I've had getting on for half-a-dozen "begging" letters from various charities exhorting me to save a tiger, or a rhino, or adopt an elephant or a snow leopard, or something similar.  Well, first off - they all go in the bin.  I decide what charities I support, and I will not be pressured by unsolicited post or (as I've mentioned before) people shoving collection tins in my face as I leave the supermarket.  But as I've also mentioned before, should we get all misty-eyed and sentimental at the thought that some species or other may be on the brink of extinction?  The extinction of species has been going on throughout history, and is nothing more than Darwinism in action isn't it?  What seems to get people worked up is when the underlying cause is human activity - if we are responsible, shouldn't we be doing something about it? But we are - there are zoos and conservation areas which are not the same as life in the wild, but are better than nothing.  I'm afraid that we are the dominant species, and it's as simple as that - just nature taking its course.

No comments: