Monday, February 24, 2014

Sauce for the goose...?

Am I a dinosaur?  If you can have women-only organisations which are not open to men, why not the reverse?  The oldest working men's club in the country is having to close, because, as it does not admit women members (although women are welcome to use its facilities) it has been refused funding for necessary repairs. During my chequered career I was for some time the pianist for a local Townswomen's Guild choir, and I remember one occasion where the choir were singing at a venue which (I can't remember just why) was only open to Guild members.  As a man, I couldn't be a member and in order to be able to play for them I had to become a nominal women for the night.  Hilarious yes, but I ask again - if it's OK for the TWG to restrict its membership to women (and I understand the rules have not changed) why should a working men's club be penalised for restricting its membership to men?  Am I a dinosaur??

No comments: