Saturday, November 23, 2013

Do you remember...?

So yes, I remember where I was when I heard JFK had been assassinated - in fact I remember it well, because I misheard the announcer the first time he broke into whatever programme was on, and thought he said "first reports say the President has been shot in the leg", and thought - well, that's OK then, so it was all the more shocking when, some half an hour later, a second announcement said that the President was dead.  How did I feel?  Devastated.  It's highly debateable whether, had he lived,  he would have fulfilled my hopes and expectations, but I did have hopes.  We were so used to national leaders being old men set in their ways, who seemed to be intent on maintaining the status quo that he came as a breath of fresh air, and anything seemed possible.  And that's what died that day - not just a man but a dream.

No comments: