Thursday, August 01, 2013

Two bob a pahnd - they're lovely!

My wife was a very tolerant person - she had to be, married to me (!) but she did have a few hobby-horses she was wont to ride, and one of them concerned British apples.  Come this time of year, she would go round the fruit and veg section of the supermarket bemoaning the fact that there was rarely a British apple to be seen - those on display would mainly come from France or the USA despite us living not that far from the fruit orchards of the Vale of Evesham.  So is this the supermarkets dictating what we are offered, or is it that British apple growing has not moved with the times and public taste?  Speaking for myself as now, sadly, a singleton, I buy Braeburns which come from New Zealand, simply because they are good keepers - in deference to my wife I did used to go to the local market and buy British apples, but found more often than not that I was having to throw half of them away because they'd gone bad before I got round to eating them.  So - principle versus practicality. Always a difficult balance.

No comments: