Wednesday, February 06, 2013

The Music Man

"Les Miserables" (or as I prefer to call it "The Glums") is very much in the news following the recent release of the film, and it seems to be polarising opinion - bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.  I have to say that musically I have never rated it.  Not quite sure why, but it just does nothing for me.  I don't think the lyrics help - I think even Andrew Lloyd-Webber would have struggled to come up with anything memorable faced with a libretto like that, but I'm sure he would have made a better fist of it than Claude-Michel Schönberg who has come up with a raft of instantly-forgettable tunes -with the possible exception of "I dreamed a dream" which at least has a vaguely hummable melody.  No - not for me, though I'm not knocking those who think it's great.  Each to his own.

No comments: