Sunday, October 14, 2012

You can't say that - or that - or that!

Voltaire said (or rather, didn't, but is quoted as saying) "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".  This aphorism is regularly trotted out to encapsulate the much vaunted concept of freedom of speech - a concept which seems to be coming under much scrutiny - or even attack - lately. There have been several instances recently of people being charged and in some cases convicted for simply saying or writing something which others have found (or even just might have found) offensive.  Many of these cases involve social media websites, the dangers of using which I have posted about before, but I think the question we have to ask ourselves is  - do we accept that freedom of speech inevitably means the freedom to insult and offend?  And if not, do we really have any freedom of speech?  I am really beginning to think that the answer is no.

No comments: