Sunday, July 15, 2012

John Terry

From what I have read, I think the verdict was correct, although I don't necessarily go along with the Magistrate's reasoning.  What struck me most forcibly is that the case was all about what Terry said - or didn't - whereas what Ferdinand said (which as far as I am aware was not disputed) passed without comment.  And yet what Ferdinand said was just as nasty and personal an insult as what Terry was accused of saying.  So what was the difference?  It seems to me that it was all down to the fact that what Terry said included the word "black".  Which to my mind points up the absurdity of the whole business.  An insult is an insult is an insult.  Both players should be ashamed of themselves, and I hope that the FA takes action against both of them.  And I've mentioned before that I think S.5 of the Public Order Act 1986 needs reconsideration.

No comments: