Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tick tock.

Regular readers, if there are any, will know that from time to time I have the tendency to get diverted down some philosophical side-street, like picking over a question such as "what is truth".  Well the other day I was reading an article about time, and the writer described time as "what separates then from now", and I thought - yes, that's clever.  But the more I thought about it, the more I came to the conclusion that you can argue that there is really no such measurable thing as "now".  If you say the word "now" by the time you get to the "ow" bit, the "n" is already in the past.  If "now" exists, it is an instantaneous point in time so small that it is incapable of holding anything of consequence.  When we say "I am now" doing something, what we are really saying is that we have embarked on that something and are committed to it for the immediate future.  So I would say that time is what separates the last split second (past) from the next split second (future).

No comments: