Sunday, May 06, 2012

Get real.

I posted around this time last year about what I saw as the unrealistic expectations of some LibDem voters and how in my opinion this had translated into a slump in their vote in the local elections.  This year doesn't seem to be any different for them, but this time it's the Tory voters (or rather non-voters) who I think need to wake up and smell the coffee - much though they may wish it to be so, this is not a Conservative government, it's a coalition, and their desire for the government's policies to be "more Tory" has to be seen in the light of that reality.  So were last Thursday's results a positive move towards Labour, or merely an anti-government protest?  I would guess more the latter than the former - I still see Labour's stance as more negative than positive - "we wouldn't have done that", rather than "we would have done this".  And the low turnout - low even by local elections standards - suggest a general apathy towards politics in general. So all parties have work to do.

No comments: