Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Enter your destination and your age....

I like this idea of a "granny-nav" as it's being called - the idea being that instead of your sat-nav saying things like "in 500 yards turn right" it will say something more like "turn right just after the post office".  It reminds me of how we used to navigate in my youth - mainly by pubs.  Turn left at The Anchor and then right at The Ring-o-bells, sort of thing.  Problem with using pubs is that - at least in my neck of the woods - pubs are shutting down and being demolished at such a rate that you will need to update your granny-nav every month or so.  But I like the basic idea - much more intuitive and friendly.  I got really cross with a sat-nav in a friend's car I travelled in recently which insisted on continually saying "at the roundabaout take the second exit" when what it really meant, and what would have been far more helpful, was "go straight on".

No comments: