Sunday, November 27, 2011

A futile exercise.

Well it's been on my mind since I posted about it in June and I've come to a decision - if I were still a working Civil Servant I wouldn't be coming out on strike next Wednesday, and I'll tell you why - because I cannot see that it will achieve anything other than inconveniencing a lot of ordinary men and women trying to go about their everyday lives.  It's just an exercise of power for power's sake - in effect the unions are sticking two fingers up to the public and saying "We're doing this because we can and there's nothing you can do about it".  The Government are well aware that there is considerable bad feeling among public sector workers about changes to their pension schemes - the strike isn't going to tell them anything they don't already know, and if anything, it is likely to harden the Government's stance in the continuing negotiations.  It's only effect will be to cause disruption, and probably expense, to Joe Bloggs and his family, who are in no way responsible for the situation.

No comments: