Monday, July 11, 2011

Where's it all gone?

So how do I feel about the News of the World closing? Sad really - firstly because it means that a lot of people are potentially being put out of work through no fault of their own, and secondly because it's part of my history.  I don't take it now, but I remember back when I was at school, and it was still a broadsheet paper, we used to buy it every Sunday (it was a boarding school) and eagerly devour all the latest smut and gossip.  I can't remember the name, but they were serialising some bodice-ripper type book which was pretty racy for its time and we couldn't wait to read the latest instalment - it would include phrases like "heaving bosom" which was quite sufficient back then to set our hearts racing!  So it's a bit like Woolworth closing down - I've lost part of my back-story, and at my age, that's not trivial.

No comments: