Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pass the sick-bag, Mabel

I am getting heartily fed up with Ed Milliband's sycophantic pronouncements on the News of the World business, and specifically Cameron's appointment of Andy Coulson.  I suppose you can't blame him for seeking to make party political capital out of it all, but his smug, self-satisfied holier-than-thou sound bites are really getting on my wick.  As to Coulson, the only question which matters as far as I am concerned is - was he the right man for the job?  And if you were looking for someone to handle your relationships with - mainly - the press, then it's difficult to imagine anyone more qualified.  Remember that old adage "set a thief to catch a thief"?  And by all accounts he did a good job while he was there, which is surely more germane to his fitness for the job than anything he may or may not have done in the past.  Milliband's premise seems to be that no-one should be allowed into the Palace of Westminster unless they are squeaky-clean and have never done anything underhand - which I would imagine would immediately rule out 95% or more of all MPs and their advisers.  If Labour's hands were clean in relation to their dealings with Murdoch and the tabloid press, I might be more prepared to give some weight to what he says, but they are not, and I am not.  So shut up Ed and do something useful.

No comments: