Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Census

I'm going to have problems with the question that asks "What is your religion?".  The choice, as far as I am concerned is between answering "Christian" and answering "No religion".  I was baptised in Church, confirmed in Church, married in Church and until my children were old enough to make up their own minds, we went to Church with them just about every Sunday.  But I haven't now set foot in Church (except to see my granddaughter at the school's carol service) for the best part of thirty years, and have lost all interest in organised religion.  So am I a Christian?  I seek to live my life by Christian values - but not because they are Christian, just because it seems to me a good way to live your life (do unto others, and so on).  I don't believe in an interceding God, and whilst it would be nice to think that there is some existence after this one, I don't really believe there is.  So I don't subscribe to two of the basic tenets of Christian belief.  So like I say, I'm going to find it difficult to answer that particular question.  Of course, I can always pass over it, as it is only a voluntary question, but that would be rather a cop-out, don't you think?

No comments: