Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Formula One

Despite the best efforts of the TV commentators - particularly Eddie Jordan - to convince me otherwise, I have found the current season frankly rather boring.  With no refuelling, the majority of races have been effectively decided in the first few laps - often indeed the first few corners - and thereafter been decidedly processional. The exceptions have been the few rain-affected races, but overall I have not managed to generate any real enthusiasm.  So, what of the overall result?
Vettel - not really a terribly convincing champion - it should have been so much easier for him.  For most of the season he was in the fastest car and he was on pole no less than 10 times, but amazingly only managed to turn 3 of them into wins.  The title is his, but the jury is still out, I feel (and I seem to remember making the same comment last season).
Alonso - I know I shouldn't feel that way, but I was rooting for anybody but him to take the title.  He hasn't got a particularly good history with me, as the posts on previous seasons will show.  I have to admit that he got the best out of what for much of the season was a rather ordinary Ferrari, but the fact that he found himself in with a chance at all owed more to good fortune and cynical manipulation of the rules than to his driving.
Webber - the one I feel most neutrals wanted to win.  Had to play second fiddle to Vettel and yet led the standings for much of the season.  If only he could have kept it on the island in Korea...

No comments: