Sunday, June 27, 2010

Doctor Who.

Well, I've given it every chance - I've persevered throughout the first series, and I still don't like it. Part of the problem is technical - the intrusive background music which at times makes it difficult to hear the dialogue, and the fact that so much of the action seems to take place in the dark or semi-dark, meaning that you not only can't hear what's happening, but you can't see what's happening either! But those are both solvable - the main problem I'm afraid is the writing. The strength of the program since it came back with Christopher Eccleston in 2005 has been that although the basic premise is ridiculous, the individual plots have been logical and believable. But this time round, the plots - with perhaps the one exception of the Vincent Van Gogh episode - have just been confused and silly. I still don't like the way Matt Smith is playing the Doctor, although given the scripts he's having to work with, it's difficult to see how else he could play it. But like I say, overall it's been a big disappointment, and for me not a patch on what has gone before.

No comments: