Saturday, January 09, 2010

Brrrr....

As I was walking my little granddaughter to school yesterday morning through the snow, it occurred to me that I hadn't posted anything about the weather - but what is there to say? It's perishing cold and the side roads and footpaths are treacherous with compacted snow - it's been like this off and on since well before Christmas, and looks set to continue for at least another week or so. People are harking back to the Winter of 1963 but for those of us long enough in the tooth, the Winter which really stands out is the 1947 one - mainly because of the amount of snow that fell, and also because national power shortages meant that we suffered pretty well daily power cuts around teatime, and there was precious little coal to be had, so we spent most of the time huddled round what fire we could muster trying to keep warm. So as I sit here in my centrally heated house looking out at the snow, I count my blessings!

No comments: