Friday, November 20, 2009

Sir, I wish to complain...

The Advertising Standards Authority is considering whether to investigate the M & S Christmas advert currently running on television. What's the story? - well, I'm not sure just how many people will have seen that advert, but it surely must run into hundreds of thousands, probably millions. Why is the ASA considering acting? Because it has received eight - count 'em, eight - complaints. Which makes me wonder just what their threshold is - just how many complaints, or perhaps more to the point, what proportion of complaints are enough to galvanise them into action. Given that, as I have commented before more than once, there are people out there who will complain about anything, and who actively seek out reasons to be outraged, I would have thought eight complaints trivial in the extreme.

No comments: