Friday, October 23, 2009

Nowt so queer as folk.

The story of a man in America who may be in trouble with the law for standing in his downstairs kitchen naked making a cup of coffee brought to mind a story which my late father-in-law used to tell. This would have been back in the 60s I think - he was in the Specials and had worked his way up to the rank of Sergeant, and as such often found himself manning the front desk of the local police station. One day this lady came in and rather embarrassedly said she wanted to complain about a neighbour of hers whose bedroom she could see from her bedroom window, and who had the habit of walking round in the morning with nothing on, and she found it upsetting and could the police do anything about it. Dad tried hard not to smile and said he'd see what he could do, and later told a young rookie constable to go round the next morning and look into it. Later the next day the constable came back in with a big grin on his face, and Dad asked him what was so funny. "Well" said the constable "I went round to the lady's house, explained why I was there, and she said - Just in time, he's there now doing it, come and see - so I went up to the bedroom and she pointed out the offending house, and I had a look, but other than a vague shadowy outline of a figure, I couldn't see anything. So I said to her, I can't make anything out, and she said - and this is not a word of a lie - Oh no, if you want to see him, you've got to come over here and stand on this chair!"

No comments: