Monday, July 06, 2009

Wow!

I started watching for want of anything better, but ended up - like I suspect many others - gripped by a wonderful Wimbledon Men's Final. Scarcely a fag paper between them, and in the end it all came down to just a couple of points. Federer is now being hailed as the greatest tennis player of all time. If you follow this blog you will know that my hackles tend to rise whenever this word "greatest" is banded about - particularly when it's simply based on statistics. Main problem is that the game - in particular the men's game - has changed so much over the years. I think this is mainly down to racquet technology, but the serve-volley game is rarely seen these days, so it's difficult and somewhat meaningless to compare the modern player with those from the past. Nonetheless, I've been following Wimbledon for many a year (Jaroslav Drobny, anyone?) and for what it's worth I would take Rod Laver at his best against all comers. By the way, I've just read somewhere that Andy Murray is a Wolves supporter - and I still can't warm to the bloke!

No comments: