Thursday, April 09, 2009

Here comes the camera car.

Google Earth's idea of providing views at street level has met with a lot of opposition. Most of it is on the basis that it is an invasion of privacy, and as I've said on this blog before (13/7/08) there is no right of privacy as far as photographs taken from a public place are concerned. But another objection is that such views may aid prospective burglars. I find this somewhat strange, because as far as I am aware, nobody has objected to the original Google Earth views, taken from overhead, and yet if I were a burglar, these would interest me far more, because they allow me to see the lie of the land, and into people's back gardens and such. I think what we're seeing is more a natural reaction to what is perceived - rightly or wrongly - as snooping.

No comments: