Monday, August 04, 2008

What's in a name - again.

I have been watching "Last Singing-Group Standing" on the Beeb. I refuse to call it by its given title, because whatever else it may be, it has little or nothing to do with choral singing. And as somebody who has sung in choirs, played for choirs and conducted choirs, I do claim a certain knowledge about the subject. I'm disappointed because I thought we were really going to see and hear choirs, instead of which for the most part we've had soloist plus backing-group stuff - good of its type, but not choral singing. The judges are clearly judging more on entertainment value than on vocal quality, cohesion and dynamic range. It's nice to see so many people, particularly young people involved in singing, but call it what it is Auntie, and it ain't about choirs!

No comments: