Wednesday, July 02, 2008

What is an MP?

I do say that I try not to repeat myself, but this time I am quite deliberately going to, because it seems to me to be a matter of fundamental importance. Ruth Kelly has apparently been given permission to be absent next Tuesday when Parliament debate and vote on the embryo research Bill, so as to save her the embarrassment of either having to vote for a Bill she is morally opposed to, or otherwise having to vote against the Government. Gets her out of a hole, but completely misses the point. Let's be absolutely and 100% clear - Ms. Kelly is there because her constituents voted for her to represent them in Parliament. That is her job. Her personal views and beliefs are entirely irrelevant. As their MP she should act in their interests - and I hardly think that chickening out is doing that.

No comments: