Friday, July 11, 2008

Old habits die hard.

Funny how the way we were brought up in our early years has such a lasting effect on our behaviour. I was born in 1937, before the war started and as a child it was always impressed on me that I should eat everything on my plate - "eat it up, think of the starving millions in China" was what my Gran would say. My wife on the other hand was born in 1941 when the war was under way and food was rationed. She was brought up to believe that you should always leave something on your plate - this as a way of saying "oh, you've given me so much, I'm stuffed". To have cleared your plate would have been to embarrass the cook by suggesting they hadn't given you enough. Result - I always clean my plate, even if that means eating something I'd rather not. My wife on the other hand would always leave a little of something. This used to be a source of constant amusement to us both, but neither of us could bring ourselves to change our ways.

No comments: