Thursday, July 17, 2008

Need for speed (limits)?

Whatever the real reason behind Swindon Council's proposal to scrap it's speed cameras in favour of traffic calming measures, it highlights the ongoing argument about whether prevention is better than punishment. Should you penalise those who break the law, or try and prevent them breaking it in the first place? I imagine most people would say both, but the greater effort should be put into prevention. I've posted about speed limits before, and I think the most effective measure which could be taken is to stop treating motorists like naughty children, and start talking to them as responsible adults and setting speed limits at a realistic level which everybody can accept as sensible. I live in hope - but I'm not holding my breath!

No comments: