Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Leave me alone

I'm getting really fed up with being lectured over the food I buy. Just lately it's chickens and eggs - apparently I should hold an enquiry into the way the birds are reared and kept, and satisfy myself that they are being treated humanely before making my purchase, and if that means I have to spend more money, then I should feel a self-righteous glow as I do so. Well, sorry, but I don't see it that way. I'm sure the people who promote these views are well-meaning, and if they want to pay top dollar for "free-range" birds and eggs, that's their privilege, but I'll let them do their thing and expect them to extend the same courtesy to me. I think Walt Disney and his various successors have a lot to answer for, having brainwashed generations into believing that animals think and feel like humans, and therefore should be treated as such. I shall continue to look for the best value for my meagre few pounds.

2 comments:

Rick said...

I'll be your Walt ate the same kind of chicken that you and I eat.

Your post is right on.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

Rick said...

Correction: I'll "bet" instead of I'll "be"

Sorry, it's too early.