Monday, January 14, 2008

The Lazy Cook

For the most part, recipes I see in books and magazines always look yummy, but are just too complicated and time-consuming for me, but I'm always on the lookout for ones I can adapt for my style of easy cooking. Here's a cheat version of what I understand is a traditional Swedish recipe - hence the title. Don't get too hung up on the precise amounts - these are just what I used, but I don't think a little more or less would make much difference - in fact a little more fish might be nice. This produces what I would call a "hearty" meal, so if you're not feeling too hungry you may want to scale it down somewhat - or eat half today and warm the rest up tomorrow.

Mama Mia!


You will need -
Packet of instant mash made up as directed
About ½ a tin of Easy Onions (see post dated 12th December)
280g tub of sweet cured herring - sometimes sold as "soused" or "roll-mop", but make sure it's sweet cured.
50g tin of anchovies
About 150ml milk
Some butter
Some breadcrumbs


Method:- Pre-heat your oven to 220ºc (gas mark 7). Drain the herring and anchovies and cut into little pieces - scissors are easiest. Butter an oven-proof dish. Layer about a third of the potato on the bottom, then a layer of about half the fish and onions, then another layer of potato, followed by the remainder of the fish and onions, and then the rest of the potato on top. Pour over the milk, then sprinkle breadcrumbs on top, and a few dots of butter. Cook for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven to 200º (gas mark 6)and give it another 30 minutes or so. In fact you can't really overcook this - the idea is for all the ingredients to come together in a sort of mush with a nice crispy topping.

No comments: