Monday, December 31, 2007

Hic (haec hoc).

It's that time of year when the papers are full of quizzes - some based on testing your knowledge of what happened during this last year, some the more lighthearted sort - you know the sort of thing: "How well do you understand your children?", "How do you rate as a lover?" and things like that. In my paper yesterday was a list of 20 questions about drinking habits. I answered "No" to all but two of them. The first was "Do you crave a drink at a definite time of day?". Well, perhaps "crave" is a bit strong, but certainly I always fancy a drink in the evening - about 8 o'clock or so. The second question was "Do you drink alone?". Well yes, because (sadly) I live alone - simple as that. So then I look at what this is supposed to mean. First I find that this is a serious test devised by an American University hospital, and that "If you have answered "yes" to any two questions, the chances are that you are an alcoholic". Oh, come on.....!

1 comment:

The Attorney said...

Oh, heck, I guess I'm a problem drinker, too. I like to have a drink in the evening, but I don't drink alone. I drink with my husband. Maybe we should both check in to rehab. ;-)

Happy New Year!!