Sunday, June 10, 2007

Speak as you find.

According to these regular surveys which are carried out, the cheapest supermarket is either Asda or Tesco. When I first retired, I carried out a survey of my own over several months, and came to the clear conclusion that Morrisons was the cheapest - not by much, to be sure, but definitely the cheapest. Official figures however consistently put Morrisons in third place behind the big two. So who's right? I suppose it all depends on the "shopping basket" you are using for comparison, but I wonder if the official surveys take account of special offers and BOGOFs. Provided it's something which, to use a local expression "doh spile", if I see a BOGOF or 3 for 2 offer on something I use, I buy a load and store them for later use. Perhaps that's where my savings come in? I do occasionally go to Asda or Tesco (and for that matter, Sainsbury's and Waitrose), if there's something specific I want from there, but for me Morrisons is the place.

No comments: