Monday, May 14, 2007

Nul points!

Family get-together Saturday night to watch the Eurovision song contest. It's been several years since I last watched it, and I was amazed at how it had changed. I'm not greatly into modern pop music, so the songs to my ear were pretty dire - but then they always were. But now it seems - in common with so many things these days - that style matters more than substance. The performance counts for more than the song. And the voting!! As far as I could see all pretence of voting for a song - or even a performance - has gone out of the window. Now it appears you vote on political lines, giving good marks to countries you approve of, or wish to keep in with, and bad marks to those you don't like. Thank God for Terry Wogan, who at least was telling it like it is, and treating it as the pathetic circus it was. I think next year I shall suggest that we watch the test card instead!

No comments: