Sunday, April 22, 2007

Get real.

More stories in the papers about soaring house prices making it difficult, if not impossible, for young first-time buyers to get their foot on the property ladder. I'm never quite sure whether the problem isn't more about unreasonable expectation. I was well into my 20's when I got married, and frankly, like I suspect most people in that position at that time, I never expected to be able to buy a house right away - the plan always was that we would rent until we had saved enough money to be able to think about buying. And that's how it worked out. Today a couple getting married seem to think that buying a house comes as an essential part of the package, and that if they can't afford it, they have somehow failed. Perhaps a dose of reality is what is required.

No comments: