Monday, December 11, 2006

Parlez-vous Globish?

When I was much younger, I fancied myself as a linguist. I have to say that experience has proved to me that I'm not really that good, but one of the languages I looked at was Esperanto, which for anyone not aware, was an attempt to create an artificial universal language. It still has its devotees, but hasn't really taken off - mainly because English has arisen as a de facto universal language, partly because it's what the Americans speak (well, sort of) and partly because it is the language of the internet. Problem is that different countries have developed their own versions of English (what at one time we would have probably called "pidgin") and they can't necessarily understand each other that well, even though they claim to be speaking the same language. Now a Frenchman has come up with the idea of formalising a simplified form of English, which he calls Globish. Part of his idea is a reduced vocabulary of just 1500 words. You can look up a list of these words at http://perso.orange.fr/yvanbaptiste/audioglob/index.htm
and I have to say they make for somewhat strange reading. Would you have included words like activist, campaign, fertile and sympathy for example. Good idea, but not sure about the detail.

No comments: