Sunday, November 26, 2006

Cross purposes

When I first read about the lady who was forbidden by BA from wearing a cross on a chain round her neck, my sympathies tended to be with her, but the more you read, the more you become aware that there is a history here of antagonism between the lady and her employers centering around her Christian beliefs, and her insistence on promoting them in the workplace. So I'm afraid she has lost whatever support I had for her. People are entitled to hold strong views - religious or otherwise - but not to thrust them into inappropriate areas. You will probably have guessed by now that my working life was involved with the law, and to me the five most depressing and scary words in the English language are "It's a matter of principle". When you hear those, you dive for cover, because you know that rational argument is going to be useless.

No comments: