Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Progress report

Six months now, and still trying to come to terms with what's happened, and this new unwanted life which now faces me. What I have found of some help is a quote from the late Queen Mother of all people. What she was doing talking about bereavement I don't know, but apparently she said "You don't get over it, but you do get better at it". I've found this of real practical assistance because it gives me something achievable to aim for - forget trying to get over it, I never will, just concentrate on getting better at dealing with it. And I think I am - I still have my moments, when for no apparent reason it all sweeps over me, and I break down and howl like a baby for a few minutes, but such incidents are becoming fewer and when they're over, I'm able to look at myself and say "Just what was all that about then?" So I'm still truckin' as the saying goes, even if I haven't yet got out of second gear.

No comments: