Thursday, October 05, 2006

Big Bin is watching you....

Have you seen this business of some Councils equipping their wheelie-bins with micro-chips, with a view to charging households according to the weight of rubbish they put out for collection? How is this going to work without some account being taken of how many people are in the house? I now (sadly) live on my own, and my bin is rarely more than a third full - my daughter and her family number five in all, and they regularly have to get up and stamp on their bin to get the lid to go down - how can we be judged on the same criteria? And even supposing every household is given some sort of nominal allowance based on the number living there, what happens if they have friends to stay for a week, resulting in more rubbish than usual? I just can't see how it can work equitably - and I bet it will not result in any reduction in Council Tax!

No comments: