Friday, May 26, 2006

The prodigal returns

Well, I'm back - sort of. Not my old self - never will be again, but I'm a survivor. Can't guarantee daily posts but will do my best to maintain some sort of continuity. Plenty gone on over the last month, mostly government ministers making fools of themselves. One thing that caught my eye was the almost hysterical reaction to a statement by a senior civil servant in the Home Office that he hadn't "the faintest idea" how many illegal immigrants were in the country. Now think about that for a moment. An illegal immigrant is one who has snuck in, and not gone through official channels - so how could anyone have any idea how many there are? The civil servant was simply giving an honest answer - the only honest answer he could possibly give. So why the furore?

No comments: